Phils Webpage 

Rendlesham Forest UFO Incident

Larry Warren outside Bentwaters RAF Base

An unidentified flying object was seen in the area. At first, servicemen thought it was a downed aeroplane, but upon entering the forest they saw many strange lights moving through the trees, as well as a blinding light from an unidentified object. Some U.S. airmen claim to have seen a conical metallic object suspended in a yellow mist hovering over a clearing in the trees, with a pulsating blue and red circle of light above.

One eyewitness claims to have seen triangular landing gear. The servicemen claimed that the object was clearly aware of their presence and backed off, forcing them to give chase. Later the servicemen were found in a dazed state, and local reports said that local farmyard and domestic animals had been behaving in a possessed state of fear and panic; some cows and animals went on a stampede.

The airmen were allegedly debriefed, threatened and ordered to sign documents that vowed silence, one even claimed to have been forced to sign a document claiming the UFO was a lighthouse; some reports suggest that they were reportedly ordered to stay quiet with the warning, "bullets are cheap".

Some other local reports suggest that small beings with domed heads left the craft, and that (twin) base commander Gordon Williams claimed to have made sign language communication.

(see link to Lord Hill-Norton)

The next morning, the servicemen returned with radiation detectors and found three small impressions in a triangle pattern that were radioactive. Later that night the lights returned, and nearby civilians witnessed the bright red light moving in the forest. There are claims that the incident was videoed by the USAF but has not been made public.

The Guardian, January 2, 1985, Was the first newspaper after the incident that explained the case in detail, After the News first came out on October 2, 1983.

A short time after the incident, the Deputy Commander of Bentwaters air base, Lt. Col. Charles Halt, issued the following report to the British Ministry of Defence (MOD)

Department of the Air Force
Headquarters 81st Combat Support Group (USAF)
Subject: Unexplained Lights
To: RAF/CC 13 Jan 81

1. Early in the morning of 27 Dec 80 (approximately 0300), two USAF security police patrolmen saw unusual lights outside the back gate at RAF Woodbridge. Thinking an aircraft might have crashed or been forced down, they called for permission to go outside the gate to investigate. The on-duty flight chief responded and allowed three patrolmen to proceed on foot. The individuals reported seeing a strange glowing object in the forest. The object was described as being metalic (sic) in appearance and triangular in shape, approximately two and three meters across the base and approximately two meters high. It illuminated the entire forest with a white light. The object itself had a pulsing red light on top and a bank(s) of blue lights underneath. the object was hovering or on legs. As the patrolmen approached the object, it maneuvered though the trees and disappeared. At this time the animals on a nearby farm went into a frenzy. The object was briefly sighted approximately an hour later near the back gate.

2. The next day, three depressions 1 1/2" deep and 7" in diameter were found where the object had been sighted on the ground. That night (27 Dec 80) the area was checked for radiation. Beta/gamma readings of 0.1 milliroentgens were recorded with peak readings in the three depressions and near the center of the triangle formed by the depressions. A nearby tree had moderate (.05 - .07) readings on the side of the tree toward the depressions.

3. Later in the night (28th. Dec 80) a red sun-like light was seen though the trees. It moved about and pulsed. At one point it appeared to throw off glowing particles and then broke into five separate white objects and then disappeared. Immediately thereafter, three star-like objects were noticed in the sky, two objects to the north and one to the south, all of which were about 10 degrees off the horizon. The objects moved rapidly in sharp angular movements and displayed red, green and blue lights. The objects to the north appeared to be elliptical through an 8-12 power lens. They then turned to full circles. The objects to the north remained in the sky for an hour or more. The object to the south was visible for two or three hours and beamed down a stream of light from time to time. Numerous individuals, including the undersigned, witnessed the activities in paragraphs 2 and 3.

(Signed) Charles I. Halt, Lt. Col. U.S.A.F. Deputy Base Commander

Also, In 1984, a copy of what became known as the "Halt Tape" fell into the hands of researchers. Unfortunately, because of static and the fact that the tape had been dubbed on an old machine, much of its background conversations could not be discerned. The Sci Fi Channel has now acquired the original recording, which documents Lt. Colonel Halt (USAF) and his patrol investigating a UFO sighting in Rendlesham Forest in December 1980. This tape not only reveals much more of the background conversations but features names that could not be heard on the poor-quality 1984 dub. The 17-minute-and-52-second recording, and a brief introduction to the material can be told by UFO researcher Georgina Bruni, author of the book "You Can't Tell the People."

The British Government has released files to researchers,

After Lord Hill Norton began asking questions in the House of Lords (see link)

and as exposed first by Georgina Bruni, author of the book "You can't tell the people" ( the actual quote is from Margaret Thatcher who was British P.M. at the time of the incident ) But the United States Government continues to remain silent despite the SciFi Channel - sponsored investigation entitled "UFO Invasion at Rendlesham" , the History Channels "UFO Files - Britain's Roswell". and Coalition for Freedom of Information inquiries. What do they have to hide ?

For a detailed account of the case itself,see Georgina Bruni's book "You Can't Tell The People"and Larry Warren's book "Left At East Gate." Both very interesting books. 

The U.S. have tried to bury this after the British Government released information on it. ( Mainly through Lord Hill-Norton's House of Lords statements that a UFO had definitely landed at an American Nuclear Base in the U.K. ) - There has been a LOT of coverup on this incident. It appears a lot of pressure has been placed by the U.S. on the British Government. - and on people - after 40 years on .. (in 2020) say they were "unsure" of what happened. A lot of people who were witness to this event have died - the others are getting old - and may not live longer - so the U.S. is hoping - in say 5-10 years from now - it will all "blow over" and be forgotten. Lord Hill-Norton sadly passed away recently. A great sadness to all who are aware of the truth.

to go home