Roscoe Hillenkoetter's Article that was in the New York Times on February 28th 1960
This CIA Chief Reports on UFO Cover-up in New
New York Times Website Requires Payment
to View Article
Copy Posted Below
This article is available in the New York
Times archives for U.S.$3.95. To purchase the article, click on the link
below, and then click on the tab "Articles: 1851 1995."
In the Headline box, type "Air Forge Orders."
You MUST misspell "Air Force" as "Air Forge"
(most interesting!!) in order to access the article
using the headline. Then under the date box, go to "Date Range,"
and in both the "From" and "To" boxes select Feb 28,
If "Air Forge Orders" does not access
the document, type "Air Force has sent its commands" in the "Search
for" box with the same date. We
provide a copy of the article below. ( see fair use link on my home page
- DO NOT print/duplicate this article )
AIR FORCE ORDER ON 'SAUCERS' CITED
New York Times - February 28th 1960.
Pamphlet by the Inspector General Called Objects
a 'Serious Business'
WASHINGTON, Feb. 27 (UPI) - The Air Force
has sent its commands a warning to treat sightings of unidentified flying
objects as "serious business" directly related to the nation's
defense, it was learned today.
An Air Force spokesman confirmed issuance of the directive after portions
of it were made public by a private "flying saucer" group.
The new regulations
were issued by the Air Force Inspector General Dec. 24. 1960
revising similar ones issued in the past, outlined procedures and said that
"investigations and analysis of UFO's are directly related to the Air
Force's responsibility for the defense of the United States."
Committee Reveals Document
Existence of the
document was revealed by the National Investigations Committee on Aerial
The privately financed
committee accused the Air Force of deception in publicly describing reports
of unidentified flying objects as delusions and hoaxes while sending the
private admonition to its commands.
Admiral R. H. Hillenkoetter (Ret.), a committee board member and former
director of the Central Intelligence Agency, said in a statement that a
copy of the inspector general's warning had been sent to the Senate Science
and Astronautics Committee.
" It is time for the truth to be brought
out in open Congressional hearings," He said.
The Air Force confirmed
that the document had been issued. A spokesman said it was put out by Maj.
Gen. Richard E. O'Keefe, acting inspector general at the time, to call attention
to revised Air Force regulations concerning unidentified flying objects.
The statement was
included in an "operations and training" pamphlet circulated at
intervals to bring commands up to date.
Pentagon aides said
the new regulations covering seven printed pages, made no substantive change
in policy but had been rewritten as a matter of course.
Air Force has investigated 6,132 reports of flying objects since 1947, including
183 in the last six months of 1959. The latest Air Force statement, issued
a month ago said, "no physical or material evidence, not even a minute
fragment of a so-called flying saucer, has ever been found."
Hillenkoetter said that
"behind the scenes, high-ranking Air Force
officers are soberly concerned about the UFO's."
through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe
the unknown flying objects are nonsense," the retired admiral said.
He charged that "to hide the facts, the Air Force has silenced its
personnel" through the issuance of a regulation.